Thursday, January 7, 2010

Making Security a Game

One of the things I enjoy doing is playing Euro games. These are games like The Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride (though the get more complex). These are generally fairly easy to learn, with rules closer to Monopoly than the older more complicated wargames I grew up with (from Avalon Hill, SPI and such). These games also almost always have good fiddly bits that make playing an enjoyable tactile as well as mental experience.

I have been thinking that this would be a great format to teach people about information security, especially the basic principles. While I have not had the dedicated time to think about this beyond some basic thought, figuring out how to make it fun an interesting, while keeping it accurate, is a big challenge.

I realize that someone else could take this and make their own game, but that would be great for me. If it is any good, I would be sure to buy it!

Otherwise, I am going to keep thinking about this and seeing what I can think up. Having experience with a many of the games on the site I linked to should give me some ideas on mechanics that might work, so I should just have to figure out how to put it all in a fun format that accomplishes my learning goal, hopefully without people realizing that is even a goal!

Brad

No comments: